Sunday, August 10, 2008

Freedom from Fear

I attended a protest on Friday 8-8-2008, the 20 year anniversary of the 8-8-88 protests held in Burma.

We stood outside the Myanmar Embassy (comparatively few of us unfortunately) and at some point they sent out a young lady to take pictures of us. I am not sure if we were supposed to be intimidated, or if they are going to put our faces on a Myanmar sh1t list and refuse us entry should we ever apply for visas there.

I will try to post a longer and more informative article when I have more time. However I want to share the startling realisation I had while standing there in front of the embassy. Little as democracy may mean in practical terms sometimes, the very fact that we could stand there and chant and wave posters without fear of reprisal, without the threat of arrest, torture and death, had such an impact on me that for a moment there I nearly couldn't breathe. And I realised that freedom from fear is worth fighting for.

Some links for you:

http://www.freeburmacampaignsouthafrica.org.za/index_files/Page529.htm

No comments: